Recently, Ken Rockwell reviewed IK's new iRig Pre 2 mobile microphone interface, which is designed to work perfectly with most mobile devices including DSLR cameras.
Ken is a professional photographer who also reviews gear to help all photographers make informed choices and get better results. Here's some of what he says:
"The iRig Pre 2 is an inexpensive all-analog battery-powered preamplifier to connect a single professional phantom-powered microphone or line-level XLR source to a basic 3.5mm input of a mirrorless or DSLR camera, phone, computer or iOS device."
Ken Rockwell on iRig Pre 2
Its output magically figures out into what it's plugged and just makes it work, which is one of the beauties of this clever little device.
"The iRig Pre 2 has its own headphone jack to replace the one you may have lost when plugging it into a device, and it also has a Direct Monitor so you can hear what the mic or line input is doing regardless of the recorder.
"While the Direct Monitor won't let you know if the recorder is working or if the levels are correct, it works with no delay so there are no latency problems as typical when trying to monitor from a digital device."
Ken's favorite features
- It just works, regardless of what kind of DSLR or mirrorless camera, computer or portable iPhone/phone/iPad or iOS device you have. I've tried lots of adapters to plug microphones into my iOS devices, and they rarely work — but the iRig does.
- Real +48 V DC switchable phantom power.
- Huge gain range works with microphones or professional line levels; just turn the gain control.
- High output capability (4 V RMS) lets the iRig Pre 2 drive any device.
- Always active rumble/wind filter.
- Headphone jack to replace the one you may take up with mobile devices.
- "Direct Monitor" lets headphones play the signal directly from the preamp avoiding any delay from the recorder — but you won't hear any overload distortion or noise from the recorder, either.
- Lightweight plastic case.
- Neutrik brand XLR connector.
- Batteries included.
- Velcro strap included for attaching to the rest of your setup.
- MADE IN ITALY; this is the Stradivarius, Ferrari or Fazioli of preamps.
"Want a basic way to get your pro mic or mono XLR line-level source into your camera, mobile device or computer? Here you go! (Hint: remember on many computers that the mic input is combined with what's marked as the headphone jack.)"
Learn more on iRig Pre 2
Read Ken's full iRig Pre 2 review here
iRig Pre 2 is a pocket-sized mic preamp that lets you easily use your XLR mics to record, perform and stream with your iPhone*, iPad, Android device or DSLR camera.
iRig Pre 2